Queer Arts Arkansas and Sibling Rivalry Press are partnering to produce a limited edition book of poems by the Arkansas LGBTQ+ community called Stonewall 50, in celebration and commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots in New York City.
In 2015, the Library of Congress acquired all of Sibling Rivalry Press’s printed titles, past and future, for induction into its Rare Books and Special Collections Vault, where they will be “housed among history’s greatest writers for all of perpetuity.” This means that Stonewall 50 (yes, your poems) will also receive this honor.
Submissions are now being accepted through June 1, 2019. Poets are encouraged to submit work related to the LGBTQ+ civil rights movement; however, there are no limits on content. If anything, we want this book to exemplify life, to mark our place in history. A prize of $100 will be awarded as an Editor’s Prize, and $50 will be awarded to the runner-up.
Stonewall 50 Submission Guidelines
1) Contributors may send up to five (5) poems (no more than five (5) pages of poems) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the words “Stonewall 50 Submission” in the subject of the email.
2) Poems should be written by self-identifying LGBTQ+ people living in Arkansas or that have lived in Arkansas. Writers of color and disabled poets are especially welcome. The content of the poems can be but is not limited to the LGBTQ+ community, its priorities, and/or its concerns.
3) Reprints of previously published material will be considered as long as the poet owns the copyright (and lists where the work first appeared).
4) Please submit poems in one document. We accept all of the following commonly used attachment types: .doc, .docx, .rtf, and .pdf.
5) Please include a short 25-word or less biography with your poems.
6) $100 will be awarded as an Editor’s Prize, and $50 will be awarded to the runner-up. All contributors will receive one complimentary copy.
7) Please send any questions about the anthology to email@example.com. Include the words “Stonewall 50 Submission Question” in the subject line to ensure we see it in a timely manner.
8) We will accept simultaneous submissions; however please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org if your work is accepted elsewhere. You do not have to withdraw your entire submission.
9) Submissions are open until 11:59:59 PM Central on June 1, 2019.
10) Publication will be in October 2019.